On 10 February 2016 the Colonel Commandant of SASR officially opened the ‘SAS Company Hut’, a replica of the World War II era buildings in which the SAS Company was accommodated during the period 1957 to 1964.
The ceremony was attended by former members of the SAS Company including one officer who marched into the unit on its foundation day on 25 July 1957.
The building was constructed off site at the Wangara depot of McGrath Modular Homes from initial plans by the SAS Historical Foundation’s architect, Duncan Jordan. Donors of goods and services to the project were: Ashburton Crane Hire; CPR Electrical Services; AirPro; and Lighting Options Australia.
The internal exhibitions pay homage to the commencement of Special Operations in World War II, the history of Campbell Barracks and the journey of the SAS Company from inception to the formation of the Special Air Service Regiment on 4 September 1964.
Included in the World War 2 Special Operations exhibits is a ‘smatchet’ issued to Z Special Unit operative Jack Wong Sue. The ‘smatchet’ has been kindly loaned by the Sue family.