Heritage Rescue Mission


2016


Campbell Miniatures

The SAS Historical Foundation has put on display a sandstone pillar which was one of two structures forming the main entrance gate to the original SAS Company lines on the establishment of the unit in 1957.

Its original construction date is unknown but could be prior to World War II when the land encompassing the barracks was purchased from the State Education Department for £7 9s an acre. In 1968 the main entrance to Campbell Barracks was changed from Alfred Road to off West Coast Highway. The southern pillar was rescued in 1989 after extensions to West Coast Highway resulted in the destruction of the northern pillar.

Campbell and his Son