As part of the Special Air Sevice Regiment’s Golden Jubilee celebrations the Unit has unveiled the refurbished grave site of Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Alexander Campbell OBE, K St J, DSM. Campbell Barracks, the home of the Australian SAS since 1957, is named after him.
The grave refurbishment was a project undertaken by the SAS Historical Foundation. The Office of Australian War Graves erected an official plaque acknowledging that Campbell was a veteran whose death was war-caused. The Foundation provided a plaque to commemorate the connection between Campbell Barracks and SASR.
The ceremony was held on 22 April 2014 and attended by Campbell Family descendants from WA and interstate. A representative of the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Regiment’s Colonel Commandant unveiled the plaques.